Communication Plan Consultant Terms of Reference
Communication plan development for the ACTION Global Health Advocacy Partnership
||Remote / Washington, DC, USA
||Start Date: January 25, 2021
End Date: By or before March 31, 2021
ACTION is a partnership of locally rooted organizations around the world that advocate for life-saving care for millions of people who are threatened by preventable diseases. The tuberculosis epidemic, low vaccination rates, and poor child nutrition disproportionately affect the world’s most vulnerable people. Affected and donor countries can end diseases of poverty and improve quality of life for all people if they step up funding and create more effective policies. We work as equal partners to bring together efforts across borders to increase investments and build political support for global health.
ACTION’s 15 partners develop and implement country-level plans that are coordinated and complemented by joint campaigns to contribute to our global agenda. ACTION partners:
- Develop long-term, trusted relationships with policymakers based on the credibility of our locally rooted independent organizations and model of effective civil society and citizen engagement.
- Identify, train, support, amplify, and elevate policymaker, patient/survivor, celebrity, and citizen advocate champions, and connect them directly to meaningful opportunities to influence policy.
- Through oversight and policy research, identify barriers or gaps in financing and delivery of key proven health solutions.
- Engage media at all levels, including locally relevant small media markets that influence key policymakers.
- With a seat at key tables where global health decisions are made, directly influence the global health agenda to respond to community needs.
In 2017, ACTION launched its Strategic Framework for 2017–2021 to focus its advocacy on three thematic pillars: 1) ending the epidemics; 2) giving all children a healthy start, with equal opportunity for girls and women to thrive; and 3) building equitable and sustainable systems. These pillars represent objectives that we seek to achieve by enhancing our impact, influence, and partnership, so we can galvanize political will to achieve the ambitious sustainable development agenda.
The consultant is expected to develop a two-year communication plan for ACTION, integrating existing communications strategies and tactics utilized by the ACTION Secretariat and partners.
Scope of Work
The objective of this assignment is to develop a communication plan aimed to increase the Secretariat’s ability to amplify partners’ advocacy, support their communication plans (where available), and establish global thought leadership on health equity and global partnerships. The consultant will work directly with the Director, ACTION Secretariat to harness insights from the partners to develop a two-year communication plan, including benchmarks and measurement of success.
The consultant will be responsible for verifying the scope of the services indicated and for proposing their expansion, reduction, or modification as and when the consultant deems necessary in accordance with professional experience and the knowledge obtained during project implementation.
The following resources may be utilized to fulfil this ToR:
- ACTION Strategic Framework, website, advocacy papers, social media activities, and regional consultation reports
- Meetings/interviews with relevant stakeholders
- Partners’ communication plans as available
Activities may include,
- Conducting a mapping exercise to better understand gaps, challenges, and opportunities in communications that the Secretariat can address and utilize to support partners and the overall mission.
- Consult with key stakeholders to better understand the capacities and needs that are critical to a communication plan for the secretariat of a global partnership whose members have proprietary relationships with media in their national markets and would need utmost sensitivity to their domains and preferences.
- Inception report outlining details of activities with proposed methodology and timeline/ delivery dates with a schedule of consultation and work plan.
All documents will be submitted in English as soft copies in MS Word. The consultant will produce the following key deliverables:
- An inception report outlining details of activities with proposed methodology and timeline/ delivery dates with a schedule of consultation and workplan
- Communication plan, including strategy, platforms, messaging, key opportunities and campaigns, benchmarks for success, tools, and implementation guidance
- Roles and deliverables for small communications team (2 people)
- A training workshop for the ACTION Secretariat team
Key Qualification, Experience, and Skills of the Candidate
- Advanced university degree in media and communication, marketing, or related field
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of issues of global health and health equity
- Understanding of global partnerships would be considered a significant advantage
- Extensive work experience and proven record in communications with a specific focus on advocacy, policy, and management of communications strategy
- Demonstrate experience of having undertaken similar assignments
- Good analytical and documentation/report writing skills
- Good communication and facilitation skills
- Excellent command of oral and written English
Timeline and Reporting
The consultant reports to the Director, ACTION Secretariat. She coordinates their activities with other members of the Secretariat team.
The assignment is estimated to commence in January 2021 and to be completed by March. The estimated budget is USD 9,000.
Procedure for Submission of Expression of Interest
Interested consultants should submit the following documents by email:
- An updated CV (maximum 3 pages)
- An application letter/email
- A draft proposal with a framework of the communication plan, outlining methodology, timeline, remuneration requirements (budget detail and daily rate)
- An example of past consultancy work to develop a similar communication plan
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please submit your applications at email@example.com with “Communication Plan Consultant” in the subject line.