There are many ways to join us as we take ACTION. See our open jobs, internships and ways to volunteer with ACTION.
Senior Associate - Advocacy
ACTION (www.action.org) is a global partnership of advocacy organizations working to influence policy and mobilize resources to fight diseases of poverty and improve equitable access to health services. The partnership includes ten partners in nine countries, and the ACTION Secretariat is hosted in Washington, DC at RESULTS Educational Fund (www.results.org). ACTION partners work in both donor and high burden countries and advocate at the local, national, and global levels. Our work focuses on making significant, coordinated policy change across several countries for shared advocacy targets on global health. Our current areas of focus are tuberculosis and child survival, including portfolios on nutrition and vaccines.
ACTION is seeking a new member of its dynamic advocacy and campaign team at the Secretariat to support advocacy on child survival and nutrition. The ideal candidate will be familiar with international campaigning and global health, and be well-versed in the development of advocacy strategy, multi-stakeholder coordination, multilateral agencies, and relevant global policy dialogues. Candidate should also be a self-starter and an entrepreneurial leader who will support a rapid expansion of our work and identify new opportunities.
- Drive development and implementation of partnership-wide global child survival and nutrition advocacy strategies with ACTION director and partner advocacy staff.
- Manage communication –including meetings, calls, and events – across ACTION partners, and support partners to develop country-level advocacy strategies on child survival, with particular focus on severe acute malnutrition.
- Support partner workplan development and monitoring, evaluating and reporting on work. Support the integration of nutrition work into an overall child survival and advocacy framework
- Manage relationships, including with international partners, allies and donors.
- Generate summaries of relevant research, messages, policy briefs, and work with staff across the partnership to help build an evidence base for increased investment on global nutrition.
- Relevant undergraduate degree (Master’s degree preferred) and 3-5 years of experience driving advocacy and/or policy work; international advocacy experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrated expertise on the global health landscape and/or child survival, particularly international funding mechanisms and global institutions
- Understanding of nutrition and child survival issues
- Commitment to multi-stakeholder advocacy strategy development and execution
- Previous experience working internationally, particularly in a developing country, or within an international network or secretariat
- Ability to travel internationally
Deadline for applications is July 3. Initial phone interviews will occur the week of July 8. Please e-mail your resume, a cover letter describing your specific experience with advocacy campaigns and successes, and two recent relevant writing samples (no longer than 3 pages each) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "ACTION Senior Associate - Advocacy” in the subject of your email.
Applications without these materials will not be considered. No calls please. We will not be able to respond to all submissions.
This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC that reports to the ACTION Director. Applicants must be legal to work in the US.
Updated June 14, 2013.
There are no internships available at this time. Check back soon for Fall 2013 openings!
Volunteering your time is the best way to make a difference. Contact an ACTION partner about volunteer opportunities in their country.
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!