There are many ways to join us as we take ACTION. See our open jobs, internships and ways to volunteer with ACTION.
ACTION has an exciting job opportunity available: Communications Manager
The ACTION Secretariat, co-located in Washington, DC with RESULTS/RESULTS Educational Fund, is seeking a highly motivated individual to oversee and coordinate ACTION's communication strategies and to manage the ACTION brand.
About RESULTS and ACTION:
RESULTS / RESULTS Educational Fund combines the voices of passionate grassroots activists with strategic grasstops efforts to end poverty. By empowering individuals to exercise their personal and political power for change, we leverage millions of dollars for programs and improved policies that give low-income people in the US and around the world the health, education, and economic opportunity they need to thrive.
ACTION is a global partnership of locally rooted organizations around the world that advocate for life-saving care for millions of people who are threatened by preventable diseases. We work as equal partners to bring together efforts across borders to increase investments and build political support for global health. ACTION's primary areas of focus include: the fight against global tuberculosis, expanding access to childhood vaccines, and ending undernutrition.
Reporting to the ACTION Director, the Communications Manager is responsible for overseeing and coordinating ACTION’s communication strategies and managing ACTION’s brand. By creating and supervising the creation of joint messaging and media strategies across ACTION partners and supporting partners’ individual communications strategies, the Communications Manager contributes to the partnership’s overall advocacy impact. The role includes both managing overall media engagement and messaging strategies, supporting ongoing/routine communication activities, and coalition engagement within the health sector and across sectors. The Communications Manager supervises elements of ACTION Associates’, fellows’, and interns’ communications work, and may directly supervise staff as the ACTION Secretariat team grows or adapts to a new strategic framework. Together, the Communications Manager and his/her staff ensure that the partnership uses traditional and social media, messaging, branding, and marketing effectively and efficiently to further partners’ and joint advocacy goals on TB, child health, nutrition, and cross-cutting global health priorities. The Communications Manager works closely with the Knowledge and Program Manager, who is responsible for project management of partnership-wide communication activities and content management.
The Communications Manager is accountable for the successful development of effective media and communication strategies across the partnership and coordination and support of partners’ activities and strategies; acting as a resource to ACTION’s media champions program; and the creation and dissemination of high-quality, consistent and compelling communications content to support ACTION’s shared advocacy goals. The Communications Manager is a key member of the ACTION Secretariat team, a critical support and mentor to ACTION partner communications and advocacy staff, and a key link between ACTION’s work and the RESULTS communications team.
1. Communications Strategy and Brand Leadership (60%)
- Manages the creation of joint messaging and media strategies across ACTION to support shared global health advocacy goals, with the support of an ACTION Associate, fellow(s), intern(s), and partner communication leads.
- Supports partner-specific media and communications success by advising on country media strategies, developing communications trainings and resources, and facilitating a working group of partnership communications professionals.
- Works closely with the ACTION Director on budget decisions within the communications portfolio.
- Manages an ongoing process to strengthen ACTION's brand and profile among key audiences, and ensure brand consistency across the partnership.
- Oversees the development of ACTION-branded publications and outreach materials, press releases, blogs, op-eds, talking points and other communications as well as content creation for ACTION's website, social media channels, and external listserv, and manages the relevant activities and objectives of the ACTION Associate to meet these goals.
2. Support to Joint Communication Activities (10%)
- Supports ACTION's media champion training program as a training facilitator, mentor, and by connecting participants to relevant opportunities to work with partners.
- Supports joint international journalist delegations and partner-specific journalist delegations by advising on content, messaging, and journalist relationship management.
3. Coalition Engagement (30%)
- Represents ACTION on external communications working groups, and builds and maintains relationships with external designers, communications consultants, and key communications allies.
- Keeps abreast of communication and media trends in global health and development or other relevant sectors and identifies challenges and opportunities for ACTION communications.
- Represents the ACTION Secretariat or partnership in coalition groups, at conferences, and in joint media engagement in the global health and development sectors.
Desired skills and qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree required (graduate degree preferred) in relevant field preferably in communications, public relations, journalism, political science/public policy, international development, public health.
- 5-8 years of experience designing, coordinating, and implementing communications strategies, preferably on international health issues and for non-profit organizations.
- Sophisticated knowledge of media markets outside of the U.S. necessary
- Exceptional writing and editing skills and ability to communicate effectively in English. Additional languages used in ACTION partner countries, particularly French, preferred.
- Demonstrated computer skills, including solid knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Photoshop, Capwiz, MailChimp, HootSuite, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Familiarity with international health issues and bilateral and multilateral official development assistance mechanisms preferred.
- Superior project management skills, organization and dedication to detail, with experience in managing multiple deadlines and complex assignments from start to finish.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment, as well as to work independently and as part of a larger team.
- Willingness to work effectively and efficiently with interoffice and offsite team members and management.
- Sensitivity to other cultures and working styles; work experience in other countries or in an international setting desired.
- Presentation and meeting facilitation skills; experience conducting training sessions preferred.
- Ability to travel internationally periodically up to 4-8 weeks of the year.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed as they arrive, and interviews with qualified candidates will be scheduled immediately. Please send cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to email@example.com. Please include "ACTION Communications Manager" in the subject line of your email.
RESULTS is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, national origin, or any other protected status. For more information about RESULTS, please visit our website at www.results.org.
We are not actively recruiting interns at this time; however, you can send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be considered for internships in the future. Please indicate clearly in the cover letter which issue area interests you and why.
Volunteering your time is the best way to make a difference. Contact an ACTION partner about volunteer opportunities in their country.
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!