There are many ways to join us as we take ACTION. See our open jobs, internships and ways to volunteer with ACTION.
ACTION has an exciting job opportunity available: Communications Manager
The ACTION Secretariat-- collocated in Washington, DC with RESULTS/RESULTS Educational Fund-- is seeking a highly motivated individual to oversee and coordinate ACTION's communication strategies and to manage the ACTION brand.
About RESULTS and ACTION:
RESULTS / RESULTS Educational Fund combines the voices of passionate grassroots activists with strategic grasstops efforts to end poverty. By empowering individuals to exercise their personal and political power for change, we leverage millions of dollars for programs and improved policies that give low-income people in the US and around the world the health, education, and economic opportunity they need to thrive.
ACTION is a global partnership of locally-rooted organizations around the world that advocate for life-saving care for millions of people who are threatened by preventable diseases. We work as equal partners to bring together efforts across borders to increase investments and build political support for global health. ACTION's primary areas of focus include: the fight against global tuberculosis, expanding access to childhood vaccines, and ending undernutrition.
Reporting to the ACTION Director, the Communications Manager is responsible for overseeing and coordinating ACTION's communication strategies and for managing ACTION's brand. By creating and supervising the creation of joint messaging and media strategies across ACTION partners and supporting partners' individual communications strategies, the Communications Manager contributes to the partnership's overall advocacy impact. The role includes both managing large programs-- such as Media Champion trainings and international journalist delegations-- and supporting ongoing/routine communication activities.
The Communications Manager supervises the communications efforts of all ACTION Associates, fellows, and interns. S/he ensures that the partnership uses traditional and social media, messaging, branding, and marketing effectively and efficiently to further partner and joint advocacy goals on tuberculosis, child health, nutrition, and cross-cutting global health priorities.
Communications Strategy and Brand Leadership (40%)
- Manage creation of joint messaging and media strategies across ACTION to support shared global health advocacy goals
- Supports partner-specific media and communications success by advising on country media strategies, developing communications trainings and resources, and coordinating partnership communications professionals
- Manages ongoing process to strengthen ACTION brand/profile among key audiences and ensures brand consistency across partnership
- Represents ACTION on external communications working groups, and builds and maintains external communications relationships
- Management of Joint Communication Activities (40%)
- Manages ACTION's Media Champion training program, including strategic direction, participant selection, training development, project management, and facilitation
- Develops and executes joint international journalist delegations across multiple partners and advises on partner-specific journalist delegations and relationship management
- Communications Content Development (20%)
- Oversees development of ACTION-branded publications and outreach materials, press releases, blogs, op-eds, talking points and other communications as well as content creation for ACTION's website, social media channels, and external listserv
- In cooperation with ACTION Secretariat issue leads, manages elements of issue-specific reports, scorecards, and other publications, including managing contracts with designers and printers
Desired skills and qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree required (graduate degree preferred) in relevant field preferably in communications, public relations, journalism, political science/public policy, international development, public health.
- 5-8 years of experience designing, coordinating, and implementing communications strategies, preferably on international health issues and for non-profit organizations.
- Sophisticated knowledge of media markets outside of the U.S. necessary
- Exceptional writing and editing skills and ability to communicate effectively in English. Additional languages used in ACTION partner countries, particularly French, preferred.
- Demonstrated computer skills, including solid knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Photoshop, Capwiz, MailChimp, HootSuite, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Familiarity with international health issues and bilateral and multilateral official development assistance mechanisms preferred.
- Superior project management skills, organization and dedication to detail, with experience in managing multiple deadlines and complex assignments from start to finish.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment, as well as to work independently and as part of a larger team.
- Willingness to work effectively and efficiently with interoffice and offsite team members and management.
- Sensitivity to other cultures and working styles; work experience in other countries or in an international setting desired.
- Presentation and meeting facilitation skills; experience conducting training sessions preferred.
- Ability to travel internationally periodically up to 4-8 weeks of the year.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed as they arrive, and interviews with qualified candidates will be scheduled immediately. Please send cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to email@example.com. Please include "ACTION Communications Manager" in the subject line of your email.
RESULTS is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, national origin, or any other protected status. For more information about RESULTS, please visit our website at www.results.org.
Volunteering your time is the best way to make a difference. Contact an ACTION partner about volunteer opportunities in their country.
Follow us on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!