From October 5-8 2015, the ACTION global health advocacy partnership (www.ACTION.org) will host a public speaking and media skills training for TB and Global Fund advocates working in countries with high burdens of tuberculosis (TB).
The training will support participants to more powerfully advocate to end TB – including by ensuring that the Global Fund is fully-funded – both in their country and internationally. The intensive training will include presentations, discussions, and participatory exercises on media engagement, interview techniques, message development & delivery, and social media.
The training curriculum builds on 10 years of successful media trainings organized by ACTION, with past participants from the fields of advocacy, politics, community activism (social mobilization), communications, and health care—but we are excited to hear about your unique perspective! In the past, participants have continued to collaborate with ACTION and other global colleagues on shared advocacy and media work, including blogs, op-eds, and media tours to donor capitals long after the initial training.
The training will be led by an experienced BBC journalist with over 20 years of experience, with the costs of traveling to and participating in the training covered by ACTION. The location is to be confirmed, but is anticipated to be in Brussels, Belgium.
Potential participants should:
- be engaged in TB work, have personal experience with TB or with Global Fund financed programs, and/or be participating in Global Fund advocacy in their own countries and/or regionally
- be committed to advancing their work through improved media & public speaking skills
- have an excitement and willingness to work collaboratively with ACTION partners to end the TB epidemic and ensure the Global Fund is fully-funded
- have buy-in and support from their organization to do media work
- have a good understanding of English in writing and speaking
- be legally able to travel internationally
- have the technical ability to receive and send emails on a regular basis and be reachable by phone
What is ACTION?
ACTION is a global partnership of 11 independent organizations in donor and high burden countries working to influence policy and mobilize resources to fight diseases of poverty and achieve equitable access to health. ACTION’s advocacy priorities are 1) ending the tuberculosis epidemic and 2) ending preventable child deaths. Details on our partners can be found here! And learn more at www.ACTION.org, and on Twitter @ACTION_Tweets.
To apply, please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible or by August 11, 2015 at the latest:
1. Short letter of motivation (less than 500 words) about why you want to join this training, highlighting any past public or community speaking experience
2. A recent copy of your resumé or CV highlighting relevant experience (no more than 2 pages)
3. The contact information for a reference who can speak to your work on and commitment to the fight against TB.